Why there are no snake in New Zealand and Ireland?

1. AliceG says:

New Zealand takes extreme measures to ensure snakes are not introduced to the ecology, since most bird species in the country have evolved as ‘flightless’ and so the introduction of snakes would be disastrous. Several years back some kid threw a snake skin outside the government buildings in Wellington as a joke and the whole police force was out looking for the snake that shed it.

2. Ralfcoder says:

They never evolved there, and couldn’t make the ocean crossing.

3. friendly face says:

When sea levels rose during warm periods, and then covered in glaciers during the ice ages. All of that disturbance made it impossible for snakes to survive. Snakes don’t handle cold conditions too well.

4. devilishblueyes says:

5. Jennifer L says:

NO snakes, how lucky you are, I absolutely HATE snakes.

6. *-*-* says:

"You have to remember that both of these countries are islands. That probably is the main reason accounting for why they don’t exhist there."

BS if you don’t mind me saying so… the size of the island has nothing to do with what animals it accommodates.

New Zealand takes extreme quarantine measures to protect its environment and wildlife.

I have lived in both NZ and Ireland and I have no idea why they don’t have snakes.. but I’m glad!

Anyway, every country has animals that others don’t have.