Why Does My Cat Rub Up Against Me Purring Then Bite Me When I Go To Pet Him?

1. Judy W says:

He wants to play . Pounce and maul are cat behaviors. Cats play with their teeth and claws. The rubbing is bonding behavior and the biting is a invitation to wrestle. Get some stuffed toys and when he bite give him the toy to maul. When he runs and jumps this is also just cat play. Get a string and drag it around so he can run and attack a toy not you. I sit in the back yard with a fish pole with a toy mouse on the end. Get a good sturdy one as I am on my third pole .

2. Beth T says:

He just wants to play because my cat does that but when ive started to play with her now she doesnt do it!

3. TO DIE FOR says:

He might be over stimulated…cats will get all lovey dovey…and then whack..they are biting. They get over stimulated and thats how they react.
    Best to just walk away at that point and let them calm down.

At the same time, it might be his way of trying to keep you there…..

4. The Oft-Suspended RP McMurphy says:

The house cat is a miniature version of a lion on the African plain. He’s acting out. My cat does essentially the same thing, he rolls over on his back and gives me the evil eye, I know the war is on at that point. I start to rub his head or his belly and he’s ready to rumble.

5. dimples_msu says:

My cat does the same thing, I think he just wants to play!!!

6. Jim says:

Your cat is trying to figure out where in pecking order it is.

7. aattura says:

Sounds like a love bite– they do that when excited. Could also be a play bite.

If you DO NOT want him to bite you then when he rubs up against you, do not pet him.

If he starts to bite at any time, just walk away. This is EXACTLY what another cat would do if he tried to play/love bite that cat.

Walk away. No yelling, no hitting– he will not understand that.

He WILL get the message when you walk away.

enjoy your kitty — my two play bite me too and I am working on it with them as well. It’s about 1/2 of 1/10 of a percent of an annoyance. I love em dearly, and that’s just part of their being cats.

8. Pat says:

If you figure it out let me know!! Ours does the same thing. He’ll be laying in your lap, then the tail starts to twitch, then the eyes get big & you know what’s coming. Prey time!!! He’s a real charecter, & we love him.

9. itsjunglepat says:

love-hate relationship? (just kidding)