How do vets dispose of dead animals?

1. Julie D. says:

Unless you request and pay to get the ashes back, they are *group cremated.* In other words, when there are multiple bodies, they are all incinerated together to save on the cost and to save space in the long run.

Add: Or you can bring the body home and bury it, if your city allowes that, or do *whatever* with the body.

2. Chels says:

I’m not sure, I assumed most owners would take them home and bury them.

3. Serena Burns says:

Actually, They give them back and the people burry them.

4. Sammy Gabbie GO VEGAN! says:

They don’t give them back to the people. The people have to pay a fee to get the dogs back. Well, around here anyway. And many owners don’t bother with getting their dogs back. They assume the vets bury them. What they did with your dog? Research what goes into dog food. Youtube has videos on it. One of many reasons my dogs are on a raw diet.

I would rather go with and endure my dog being euthanized in my arms, vs have someone else do it. We paid for them to be cremated and had their ashes sent back to us, to be buried in a family plot at the cemetery.

Edit: The crematorium here doesn’t cremate anything unless they are paid. And the city I live in doesn’t allow for animal burial in most places, with the exception of cremation. Has to do with city sewage.

Edit: When dog food says,"meat and meat by-products" and doesn’t say specifically what…and most dog foods say just that…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoOUaP256g&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng84DbezYMY&feature=related

This is one about shelter animals being euthanized and put in to pet food. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03jOl1xG084&feature=related

Edit: People only *think* their animals are getting mass cremated. They’ll never know for sure. I’d rather spend the few extra $$ and get the ashes back.

5. ~Launi~ Thundering Wild Angels~ says:

Where I live, the dead bodies are kept in a cooler and crematory picks them up. Owners are given the option of taking the body with them, having it cremated and receive the ashes (this is a separate charge) or leaving the body, which the vet takes care of the disposal by having the crematory pick it up.

I have never heard of the owner being charged money to take their dog’s body with them. Dogs are the property of the owner and a vet has NO say in what the owner decides to do with the body.

6. Magen says:

They give them back so the owner can bury them. And actually my dog food does not contain other dogs. just thought id let whoever made that comment know. I actually read the labels. The other thing the vet might do (for a fee) is cremate the dog.

7. StellaStarfire says:

My parents had ours cremated and the ashes given back to us

8. Inga says:

If the owner does not take the animal home after euthanasia, the vet keeps the animal in the cooler until the crematory picks it up. Then likely the dog will be mass cremated unless the owner pays for the ashes to be sent to them. It was a bit more expensive to get the ashes back than to mass cremate. So I opted to mass cremate when my last dog was put down.

Why would your person not tell you that? I wonder if they actually went to the vet???

9. Sue Guidry says:

We lost a precious dog to lymphoma and we decided on cremation. The remains were put into a beautiful mahogany box and it sits on a shelf in my walk-in closet where I converse with Remy Martin every morning when I am getting dressed. Yesterday my husband and I learned our beautiful Sable Cocker has liver cancer and we have had to make a heart wrenching decision to have him put down. He was cremated yesterday afternoon and he will get his very own maghogany box in my closet next to our white cocker-poo. IT doesn’t lessen the pain but it smooths the transition of the grieving process and they are still with you and not out in the rain and cold.