What is the best pet for a 11 year old girl?

1. Johanna says:

I see that a lot of people are posting that you should get her a rabbit. While they’re great pets (and not stinky… If your rabbit stinks you need to clean the cage more often) they can be difficult to tame and it’s rare to find one that enjoys being held and cuddled. If your daughter wants a pt that enjoys being handled and snuggled then a rabbit is not for her. You COULD try contacting a rabbit rescue (there are more of them than you think) and telling them you need a mild mannered rabbit who is mellow and enjoys being held.

What I suggest is a pair of rats. While some people would shudder at the thought of having rats in their home, they don’t realize that they’re clean, smart, affectionate pets that are great for kids. They’re easy to tame (go through a food breeder and you won’t have to tame them) and can eat just about anything so there’s little question as to whether something will make them sick. Do some research on them. I think you’ll be plesantly surprised :)

2. epoP John says:

A Holy Goose.

3. Saksham says:

How about a baby bunny?!

4. Andrew says:

Bunny

5. Prim Elle says:

If you dont want a mess get a fish

6. Caitlin says:

How about a hamster or a goldfish?

7. mels says:

gineau pig or a hamster or ferrets

maybe fish O_O

8. show_choir_x3 says:

rabbits smell REALLY bad, but theyre unbelievably cute.

hamster? :)

9. fakequestions says:

rabbits – cute but smelly
    Guinea Pigs – smelly and make a lot of noise, also cute
    Hamster – Easy care, cute
    Mouse – Well i think cuteness is an opinion, but also easy care
    Fish – cool, but boring
    Spider – Also an opinion
    Hedgehog – Cute, easy care, expensive and spiky (I have one message me for more info if you like)
    Ferret – Smelly, but cute

10. Borat Sagdiyev says:

Hamster or a budgie. I had budgies when I was young and thought they were so much fun.

11. Sara White says:

Everything makes some sort of a mess, but if you want the least amount of mess get a fish, I’ve always had cats, but your daughter doesn’t want one, you should reasearch what pet would be the best fit. Good luck!

12. Cupcake says:

A cat, they give tons of love and are low key, They don’t need to be bathed or taken outside as much which is nice, and to top it off there are many that need to be adopted in all states…Its important to give love to animals even in the shelter!

13. lisagrndy says:

before you say anything omg no eww fancy rats they are cute and cuddly not grey dirty sewer rats their is a difference you know think again do some research yourself my advice from personal experience two male fancy rats the plus points their clean and tidy, very intelligent, easy to care for, super clever lovable friendly , cheap to feed, more docile than females as they will sit on you’re shoulder and go to sleep. having one is just cruel they are pack animals. dont let a couple of nips if you get them put you off they are frightened when you bring them home as all animals are. my son was only 12/13 when he got his first rats best thing we ever did as a moms opinion but we all loved them warts and all no seriously they didn’t have any. maximum life span for fancy rats at a push with loads of tlc is 2 1/2 to 3 years unfortunately. dont buy from a pet shop find a breeder you know what you are getting you can even see mum and dad and more often than not they have been handled a lot.

14. Alison says:

Rabbits are a lot more work to care for properly than even a cat. You really need to know what you’re doing. Take a look at the House Rabbit Society on line for more information. (PS, they’re not smelly if cared for properly.)
    Guinea pigs can be very rewarding pets for that age. They do have a bit of a musky odor but if you use a product like Cage Clean on a regular basis which does a great job of neutralizing odors they’re not too bad. They also don’t create "messes" like chewing things to smithereens like rabbits, dogs or rats can do.
    You might consider a bird of cuddling isn’t of prime importance. Again, do your homework before choosing one.
    When I was 11 I had a boa constrictor. If you can get over the feeding it live mice part it’s a pretty cool pet and definitely doesn’t make a mess (awesome for show and tell too.)
    Your call…

15. Appa-Yipyip says:

I deffinitly suggest a rabbit. They can be litter trianed and can e wonderful house pets! They can be trianed to roam the house during the day (pottying in the litter box) and sleep in their cage at night. They are smart and adorable, and kids love them! I got my first bunny when i was 8! They teach responsisbily! If you dont think shes ready for a bunny, what about a hamster? They are nice, but cant be cuddled as much as a rabbit. Maybe reasearch rabbits? Theres also awesome videos on youtube. I suggest only getting one bunny though, becayse boys will fight (even if brothers) and girls will also fight, and if you get a boy and girl, they need to be fixed. One bunny is just fine! There are many breeds and sizes of rabbits. I would recomend Holland lops, because they are small, very cute, and great with kids. I would get from a breeder, because they are healthier, and used to human contact. Rabbits can also be walked on harnesses, and be given treats! They are so much fun! feel free to email me for questions or anything!

*Edit* Alot of people are stying rabbits smell and are hard to tame and are not cuddley? I havent ever had a rabbit that doesnt like cuddleing or thats hard to tame. And i have had rabbits my whole life. At least 10. And of course if you dont clean the cage they will smell, but if the cage is cleaned weekly (its pretty easy) then theres no problem. Ive never had smell problems.

16. glidergal says:

Hamster. I had one when I was about 11 or 12 and he was so easy to take care of. He was also very cute and fun to watch when he ran around in his little ball

17. Victoria Barnett says:

I am 10 and i got a leopard gecko and dont say no because its a lizard! actually they are VERY EASY to care for. All you need is a 10 gallon tank (if u only get 1!) an option of a heat pad or 2 lamps (and i personly like the heat pad because the lamp needs light bulb replacing and the bulbs are like $6). you will also need 2 houses and a carpet washable flooring or mulch stuff (DO NOT GET SAND) (i would recommend the carpet its really easy!). you need a water bowl too (i use a water bottle lid), she will need to get it fresh water every day. and last but not least the food you have a option of crickets or worms (honestly they worms are easy and they are not huge or slimey and worms save you money) if you have questions ask the pet store worker they’ll tell you every thing! ps get it when its a baby and they love to be held

If she doesn’t like reptiles i know something perfect! ps leopard geckos can live up to about 35 years old

a dwarf hamster i had 1 but she just died thats y i got a gecko!

all you need is cage, a bowl and a water bottle ( but to avoid leaks GET 2 BOWLS)
    you will also need bedding choose bedding wisely !!! toys to keep teeth chewed down also for ferther notice THEY DO BITE AND IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! other things are optional

All the items you will need can be found at petsmart

if she doesnt like either of these i would recommend a rabit

ps hope it helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

18. Qball says:

I know most people don’t like rats, but I agree with that one. I have an 11 yr old daughter, too, and she really loves our rats. I have had pet rats since college, when I kept one of our lab rats. They love to play, and are really smart. You can easily train them to do just about any trick a dog can do. I have never had a rat that bites or has been aggressive. They are very active, but will sleep in your lap when they are tired. If you rat proof your room, you can let them run around for a while. They will not poop outside of their cage after a couple of days. Actually our newest rat, Raisin, has never pooped outside of her cage. Male rats will snuggle more, but female rats will play more. They enjoy riding around on your shoulder. My kids get females because the males’ testicles creep them out. They are a bit prominent. The only downside to rats is their short life span. My longest living rat was five years old, but he was in bad shape when he died and was much older than any other rat I’ve kept. I know other people have said only use a breeder, but we have two Petco rats that have always been very sweet and lovable.

19. SarcasticSmilez says:

Whoever said hedgehog, NO. One of the WORST pets for an eleven year old said here would be a hedgehog. They take time, they can hurt, they and their vet bills can get extremely expensive. Not to mention the fact they’re nocturnal.