How many cups of food should I give a 20 pound dog?

1. Cookie The First One says:

For correct crate size, measure your dog from floor to top of the withers, then from in front of his chest to the end of his butt. Make allowances for head and rear room and buy the crate accordingly.

If you feed a 20 pound dog 4 cups of any food daily, it will look like the Goodyear blimp.
    There is no one formula for feeding your dog as the nutrition available to your dog varies from kibble to kibble. If you are feeding a high quality food, a cup a day will be plenty, although if fed too many treats along with it, your dog will be overweight in no time.
    Check the label, follow that and see how your dog does on it. Go here so you can get a picture of how your dog should look when it is in good condition. http://www.purina.com/dog/weight-and-exercise/bodycondition.aspx
    I feed a 40 pound sheltie only 2 cups a day of Solid Gold, and my two little ones both weigh 20 pounds only get 3/4 cup a day. All three are at a pretty good weight, and all get several treats daily also.

2. Kojak says:

4 cups twice a day

3. clbowman06 says:

Normally it will tell you on the back of the dog food bag. It’s probably around 2 cups a day. Good luck with your pup!

4. Anna says:

Hey there!!
    That’s great your adopting a dog!!
    We have a 20 pound dog too.
    The vet recomended 1/2-1 cup of food per meal, which should only be at breakfast and dinner.
    As far as crate size, our dog has about a 30 inch tall crate, and about 40 long. About 30 wide too. You want to give them space, and if it’s a puppy, plenty of space to grow into.
    Hope this helps!!

5. DR + Mrs Bears face says:

The packet/container of dog food you buy will have the amount for various breeds on the label for that particular food.
    You do not say if you are adopting a puppy or an adult dog. Obviously each will have a different requirement.
    The pet shop or your vet can advise on the size of crate needed.

6. Horse Lover says:

The person that said 4 cups has no idea how small a 20 pound dog it! I have a 20 pound dog and she eats 1 cup of food per day. 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. She is an indoor dog so she is not out running all day…only for her mile long walk. A dog that is outside a lot may eat a little more.

7. nova_queen_28 says:

My 20lb beagle-jack russell mix gets a total of 1 cup of food per day. He gets 1/3 cup at breakfast, 1/3 cup at dinner, and the other 1/3 is used in his kongs when he has to go into his crate (if there is a day I do not crate him, I just put a little extra into his bowls for breakfast & dinner.

As for the crate, I tried to go a little bigger than suggested so my dog had more room and it backfired on me — he was able to maneuver so he could pee outside the crate — so I had to downsize him to a crate where he can get in, turn around and has a little room, but not extra room.